Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Bersih unremarkable walk

My Bersih Rally experience
Many had written on their experiences in Bersih Rally. I am now only writing about it because there are some friends still calling or texted me asking how was my first hand experience.

Left Melaka at 11AM on Friday July 8 2011, having the foreknowledge that the roads are being blocked.
One taxi driver noticed that the Melaka Ayer Keroh toll had been blocked by police since as early as July 1st. 2011.
Reached Swiss Inn on Petaling Street at 1.30PM.
Woke up on Bersih day July 9 2011, Saturday 7.30AM. Ventured out alone, while my son, Leon and daughter, Michelle were sleeping soundly.

First thing I noticed that the streets were with very few people and hardly any vehicles. Thanks to the police who had done a complete shut down on KL.
My hotel was just a few minutes walk to the Merdeka Stadium. When I was near the Stadium I saw the police just beginning to put up barricades with barbed wire. Later I went up to the entrance of the stadium. It was shut closed but there were policemen every where. At first I  was discreet taking videos. Subsequently there were more and more reporters taking photos, the police didn't seem to mind, I also became bold taking video out right in front of police in the bright day light.
While on my way down the stadium  the army man  in green who appeared to be the leader among them asked me where I came from and told me not to take photos because I have no authorization name cards like the reporters.

Lost tract of time, later after meeting Philip Low, my "shifu" who brought me to Bersih in November 10 2007in my hotel to exchange notes what was going. While we walked out of the hotel, we heard one small group of about 10 people singing Negaraku, we joined them....the rest is history.
I did not have the opportunity to face the water cannons nor the tear gas where I was. My wife said lucky of me, by the grace of God I came out unharmed.
My first hand experience int both Bersihs taught me that the people were having orderly, peaceful walk to appeal for a better Malaysia. Many came on their own accord with own money without any direction from anyone or parties. Of course there were among the crowd, some Keadilan, DAP and PAS party members. The political parties alone would not have brought that many people. Why do I say so? Just take a look how many Umno youth or Perkasa brought...they just talked BIG like Najib who said he can conquer KL because he has 3 million Umno members. I doubt.
Among the free people who came to the Rally are many lawyers, doctors and other professionals. We took all the trouble to walk is because we want the country changed for the  better for our children's children.

No comments: