Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ah Long illness in our society-Below is my letter to the Star paper editor

I read "Why are Ah Longs so untouchable?" in The Star, today, Saturday July 23 2011.

I am sure it is the public knowledge where Ah Longs are putting up all sort of posters blatantly everywhere. Now that I read what Mr Paul Singh, Kuala Lumpur have highlighted in your paper, I began to realize that it is not only occurring in Melaka where I am residing.

Now the question Mr Paul asked, why the police are not apprehending the Ah Longs is the" very question we have been asking in our mind for a long time.

The only reason I can think of for the police is that Ah Long is not their priority. They have so many other cases to be busy with.

I do pity our police who are already have their hands full especially just after the Bersih 2.0 Rally where they were kept busy. I observed that they have been very efficient putting road blocks as early as July 1st. even though Bersih was on July 9th. They locked down the whole of Kuala Lumpur especially the areas near the Merdeka Stadium. I know this so well because I was there in the Bersih Rally.

It is very easy to notice where the police are kept busy, just take a look in your paper today, page NATION 27, "Shooter can't be determined". The individual who caused the death of 15-year-old Aminulrasyid Amzah could not be determined because there were two policemen who fired the shots. Mine you, the above case happened more than a year ago in last April. I really pity the police who had been kept so busy for more than a year now, trying to police their own colleagues.

Just one more example where our police are kept busy. Your paper again, today, July 23 2011,page 34 Other News & Views, "Cops produce proof to refute Mat Sabu's claim" the cops have to come up with CCTV footage that shows the motorcycle ferrying Mat Sabu avoiding the police car before hitting a road divider. Here, the police is involve in politic trying to defense the political masters. No wonder, the Rakyat concerns are not in their priority list.

Let me share with your readers my personal encounters in making reports to the police. They actually are doing the job of a clerk filing up my reports, that is all. How do I  know it? Just ask the police, they will tell you what they are busy with. My reports are not their priority.

I have came across other people who just simply not making reports to the police any more. So sad.

They will tell you the police, instead of investigating the case, they who make the report are kept busy being interviewed. The reports just end up in the files.

So much so now, we just better save our time in reporting because it is going to be a futile exercise. I am sure this is a common knowledge.

Now, let me come back the the illness of Ah Long in our society. I think it is just the symptom and sign of many of our fellow Malaysians finding difficulty in getting proper loan from the bank. If not, why borrow from Ah Longs who charge such an exorbitant interest? People who go to Ah Longs are at the dead end financially.

I propose many of us can come up with micro-financing to help giving out soft loans to those who are worthy of help. What prevents us from doing it is that we neither have the expertise nor the man power to hand out the loan securely. Money, in my view is the least problem. Many will donate to help those who are genuinely in need of help. The other thing that prevents us from helping is that Malaysia is full of up to date regulations and licenses that restricting us instead of helping us to help others.

May be, the police can be forth coming to let us know how they have been coping especially with the slogan, "People first, performance now".

Wong Fort Pin, DM, DRM.
Klinik Wong,
B-007 PANGSAPURI SRI SIANTAN BUKIT BARU MELAKA 75150
tel: 06 2834530 or 012 2691176
Sent from my iPad

No comments: