Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

To be sinless is humanly impossible!

26:1 <[A Psalm] of David.> Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; [therefore] I shall not slide. 26:2 Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart. 26:3 For thy lovingkindness [is] before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth.
Psalms 26:1-3
26:1 A Psalm of David. Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have walked in my integrity, and I have trusted in the LORD without wavering. 26:2 Prove me, O LORD, and try me; test my heart and my mind. 26:3 For thy steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in faithfulness to thee.
Psalms 26:1-3 RSV

To know all is not to forgive all. It is to despise everybody.
Quentin Crisp

LAB comments: David was not claiming to be sinless--that is impossible for any human being to achieve. But he was consistently in fellowship with God, clearing his record when he sinned by asking for forgiveness. Here he pleads with God to clear his name of the false charges made against him by his enemies. We also can ask God to examine us, trusting him to forgive our sins and clear our record according to his mercy.King David is called a man after God's own heart not because he is perfect. David had a contrite heart--an inward heart attitude that is right. David asked God for mercy, forgiveness and cleansing. Are you sorry for your sin? Do you genuinely intend to stop? God is pleased with this kind of humility.

No comments: